President’s Visit to South Thiladhummathi Atoll
- President Yameen concluded his visit to Nolhivaranfaru Island and Kulhudhuffushi Island of South Thiladhummathi Atoll on 23rd
- He inaugurated the Nolhivaranfaru Harbour on this visit.
- He also attended the ceremony held in Kulhudhuffushi to mark the completion of the island’s road development project, and shore protection project
UK lawmakers visit Maldives to observe election arrangements
- UK lawmakers flew to the Maldives to observe arrangements for next month’s presidential elections owing to sharp criticism of the government’s rights abuses.
- The presidential election is scheduled for September 23.
Maldives election body denies voter registration fraud
- The Elections Commission denied allegations of registration fraud as lots were drawn Saturday to assign candidate numbers for the September 23 election.
- President Abdulla Yameen will be candidate number one and joint opposition candidate Ibrahim Mohamed Solih will be number two on the ballot paper.
World’s Biggest 3D Printed Coral Reef in the Maldives
- Reef Design Lab, an Australian association committed to the making of fake reefs, has made the biggest 3D printed fake coral reef up until this point.
- The 3D printed molds were imprinted in Australia and transported to the Maldives, loaded up with concrete, collected at Summer Island and after that dropped into the sea, where they currently rest seven meters underneath the surface.
Hotel Asia Exhibition to be held next month
- Hotel Asia Exhibition, the largest trade fair in the Maldives, will be held in Male next month.
- The event will be organized by Maldives Exhibition and Conference Services (MECS)
- Over 250 companies from 46 different countries would participate in the fair being held at Dharubaaruge – the main convention centre in Male from September 9-12
Maldives offered to donate 50,000 dollars to India
- The Government of Maldives had decided to make a donation of USD 50,000 as a token contribution in solidarity with the people of India, for the ongoing rescue and relief operations in the flood-hit state of Kerala.