Visit to Islands of Faadhippolhu Atoll
- President Yameen concluded his visit to some islands of Faadhippolhu Atoll on 1st September.
- During this visit, President Yameen visited Naifaru Island, where he inaugurated the Lhaviyani Atoll Hospital building and the island’s harbor.
- The President also marked the completion of the shore protection project in Kurendhoo Island.
- He also visited Hinnavaru Island and Olhuvelifushi Island and met the people of both Islands as part of this tour.
Visit to Some Islands of Ari Atoll and South Nilandhe Atoll
- President Yameen concluded his visit to some islands of Ari Atoll and South Nilandhe Atoll on 4th September.
- During this tour, the President inaugurated Dhangethi Island’s harbour and initiated the water service in the island.
- He also marked the completion of road development project in Mahibadhoo Island and inaugurated the sewerage services in the Maamigili Island.
- He visited Mathiveri Island, Thoddoo Island and Kudahuvadhoo Island as part of this tour.
President Yameen visits Fulidhoo Island and Felidhoo Island
- President Abdulla Yameen visited Fulidhoo and Felidhoo Island of Felidhe Atoll.
- During the visit, President Yameen met with the islands’ community.
Final voters registry published
- The Elections Commission published the final registry of voters for the September Presidential Elections on 4th September.
- The revised list includes name, address and identity card number along with details of ballot boxes allotted to the voters.
- As many as 80,000 people re-registered to vote outside their island of permanent residence.
- According to the final voters’ registry, a total of 262,135 people are eligible to vote in the 2018 presidential elections.
- A total of 10,506 monitors and 1,895 officials will observe the upcoming presidential election.
85 international observers approved for upcoming election
- The Election Commission granted permission to 85 international observers and monitors for the Presidential Election on September 23.
- According to EC 51 observers and 34 monitors from different countries, international organizations and independent institutions have been authorised to take part in the presidential elections.
President inaugurated the Lhaviyani Atoll Hospital building
- President inaugurated the Lhaviyani Atoll Hospital building in the Naifaru Island.
- He inaugurated the building while on a visit to Islands of Faadhippolhu Atoll.
Guesthouses will control half of Maldives tourist bed capacity by 2028
- According to the Maldives Association of Travel Agencies and Tour Operators (MATATO), the guesthouse market will control half of the Maldives tourist accommodation capacity by 2028.
- Resorts controlled the majority of the accommodation capacity with over 30,000 beds, while guesthouses had 8,000 beds between them as of July 2018.
- MATATO president Abdulla Giyas Riyaz said that the guesthouse sector is the fastest developing sector of tourism in the country.
- Riyaz was speaking at the MATATO’s Maldives Travel Awards Guesthouse Edition, held in Hulhumalé.
Foreign Ministry Held Multi-Stakeholder Consultations for the Implementation of the OIC-2025 Programme of Action
- The Ministry of Foreign Affairs on 4th September, held a multi-sectoral consultations with the Government stakeholders, in the implementation of the Programme of Action adopted by the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) for the years 2015-2025.
- The purpose of the consultation was to provide an interactive dialogue with the key stakeholders on the activities to be carried out in the implementation of the goals of Programme of Action.
- The Maldives is fully committed in upholding the principles of the Charter of the Organisation and has been contributing immensely towards the unity and solidarity of the Islamic Ummah.
Secretary Bilateral hosts luncheon in honour of the visiting delegation from JICA Headquarters
- His Excellency Mr Ahmed Khaleel, Secretary Bilateral at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, hosted a luncheon in honour of Mr Hara Shohei, Director General, South Asia Department of Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) on 2nd September.
- The discussions at the luncheon focused on opportunities for further enhancing socio-economic cooperation between the two countries through JICA.
- The Secretary Bilateral and the Director General also discussed some of the ongoing projects under the assistance of the Government of Japan.
- The Director General was accompanied by Ms Kamei Haruko, Senior Director for South Asia Division from JICA Headquarters, Mr. Saito Hiroshi, Resident Representative and officials from the JICA Maldives Office.
First bus commutes across Sinamale Bridge free
- According to Maldives Ports Limited (MPL), bus rides between capital Male, airport island Hulhule, and reclaimed suburb Hulhumale, will be free initially.
- MPL’s CEO Ibrahim Haleem said that official bus fares will be implemented a few days after the bridge is opened for public use.
- As of now, the MPL buses will only travel up to the Hulhumale terminal where commuters can use the Maldives Transport and Contracting Company (MTCC) buses to travel within Hulhumale.
- MPL has brought nine buses to the capital to begin public bus transportation across the Sinamale Bridge, and plans to use 22 buses for bridge commutes in the future.