2018 PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION BRIEFS
- The Election Commission has extended the deadline for applications to August 10. Submission of application opened on 23 July 2018.
- Electoral body announced on 28 July 2018 that they have processed and accepted the candidacy of Ibrahim Mohamed Solih.
- Maldives Resort ballot boxes have exceeded the figures of 2013. The number of ballot boxes on resort islands for September 2018 elections have rose to 43, exceeding the number from the previous Presidential elections.
- President Abdulla Yameen have been officially presented with the nomination ticket by the Progressive Party of Maldives (PPM) for the September 2018 elections. The nomination ticket was presented at a function organized by the Progressive Party of Maldives at Dhaubaaruge on 28th July. PPM also presented the Running Mate ticket to Dr Mohamed Shaheem Ali Saeed at the ceremony.
50 futsal grounds inaugurated as part of the administrations’ Sports Arena Project
- President Yameen inaugurated a total of 50 futsal grounds as part of the administrations’ Sports Arena Project at a ceremony held at Dharubaaruge on 1st August. The President addressed the public at the ceremony and spoke about the administrations’ constant efforts in making the youth of Maldives more productive and involved in the society. He also spoke about development of Youth and Sports being a high priority of the current administration.
- Following the inauguration, President Yameen met the National Football Team. He encouraged them to make winning the South Asian Football Federation (SAFF) championship their ambition this year.
Maldives tourism occupancy hits 75% in Q1
- According to the Maldives Monetary Authority, The Tourism occupancy rate in Maldives have showed a 5% growth compared to last year.
- The occupancy rate this year has reached 75% in the first quarter of 2018 from 70% last year.
- The Prime factor in assessing the tourism industry performance is the Guest Visits to the nation.
- The Maldives tourism industry earned 993.5 million U.S. dollars in the first quarter of 2018, marking a 20 per cent jump from the same period last year.
- According to latest statistics from the Tourism Ministry, a total of 726,515 holidaymakers have visited the Maldives during the first six months of 2018, marking a 10.5 per cent increase in tourist arrivals when compared to the same period last year.
President Yameen pledges $6 million for Maldives resort workers
- The President on 1st August, pledged to introduce an employment benefit scheme for resort workers.
- President Yameen assured that the government will invest US$6.4 million and invite resort workers to contribute minimal portion of their monthly pay, which would be matched by their employers.
- President further added that a quota of social housing flats would be reserved for resort workers if there was enough support for the plan.
19th August declared a Public holiday
- President Yameen declared 19th August as a Public holiday in the event of 1st of Zul-Hijja falling on 12th August, 2018.
- President wanted to ensure maximum days for the public to enjoy Eid-al-Adha. Following the Eid Holidays, Government offices will reopen on Sunday 26th August, 2018. This would give a nine day holiday to the public as the month of hajj starts 12th August.
New commemorative coin launched celebrating 50th Republic Anniversary
- A commemorative coin was launched by the Maldives Monetary authority (MMA) to celebrate 50th Republic Anniversary of the Maldives.
- Maldives became a republic on 11th November 1968. The commemorative coin has a face value of MVR 150 and contains 950 ounces of gold on the gold plate and is a quality Proof Coin. The Coin has a weight of 28.28 grams as confirmed by the MMA. The coin was launched by the Governor of the MMA, Ahmed Naseer.